20 Things I’ve Learned in 20 Years at Mikado
Text: Philippians 3:1-7
In today’s message, Pastor Rusty Smith reflects on 20 years in ministry at Mikado Baptist Church and things that he has learned about church ministry, as Senior Pastor, of a thriving and growing church.
- It’s all about God.
- A church will only grow if it’s unified.
- It’s important to have the right people serve in the right places.
- The mission must remain the main thing – Declare, Disciple, Do.
- Not every person that visits Mikado will join our church.
- If you prioritize Biblical, expository, passionate preaching, people will grow.
- Godly lay leadership is critical.
- Do things with excellence.
- No matter what I do, some people will not like me.
- Do things right the first time, or you will do them again.
- A growing church is always in transition.
- Manageable church debt is ok.
- It’s ok to change some things if they are not against God’s Word.
- There are some battles that aren’t worth fighting.
- I’m not bulletproof.
- Micromanaging will not develop people – You must train them and then let them lead.
- Discipleship is hard but rewarding.
- People want you to love them.
- The right staff is critical.
- Mikado is one awesome church!